Creating an Account
All users on the Turnitin system must create a user profile. If the user has previously registered on Turnitin, is an account administrator, or received an e-mail that indicates having been added to an account this section can be skipped. Users with existing profiles should skip to the Logging In section.
If the user is new to Turnitin and has not been added to an account by the account administrator, an instructor profile must be created. To create an instructor profile, the account ID number and account join password are required. This information is needed to authorize a user to join the Turnitin account.
Note: The account ID and account join password may only be distributed by the Turnitin account administrator for an institution. Instructors wishing to access Turnitin must contact the appropriate personnel at the institution to receive the account ID and join password. Account administrators may distribute this data or may automatically enroll instructors via e-mail. Turnitin staff cannot distribute this information to any user.
To create a user profile:
- Go to www.turnitin.com and click on the "Create Account" link next to the "Log In" button
- Click the "Instructor" link in the "Create a New Account" section
- The Create a New Turnitin Instructor Account form must be completed
- Enter the account ID number and account join password for the institutional account
- Enter the user first name, last name, and a valid e-mail address to use as the login for Turnitin
- Create a user password. The user password must be between six and twelve characters long and contain at least one letter and one number
- Re-enter the password to confirm it
- Select a secret question from the drop-down menu. Enter the answer for the question. Remember and keep this information.
- Review the user agreement. To continue using Turnitin, click on "I agree -- create profile"
To begin using Turnitin, you must first log in. During login a cookie will be set on your web browser to allow Turnitin to authorize your access during use of the site. Please ensure that the web browser program you are using will allow the cookie to be set by our site, www.turnitin.com. Please refer to the Help Center article on allowing cookies.
If the instructor is logging into a profile using a temporary password received via e-mail, the system will require a confirmation of the user information. New users must also set a personal password and secret question/answer information. The new password that is set by the user will replace the temporary password and will be required for all future login attempts.
To login to Turnitin:
- Go to www.turnitin.com
- At the top right, click the "Log In" button to go to the login Page
- Enter the e-mail address and password associated with your Turnitin instructor user profle in the appropriate fields
- Click the "Log In" button to log into the Instructor homepage
Resetting Your Password
If a Turnitin user password is forgotten or the initial user welcome e-mail is not received, the password can be reset via secret question or e-mail. To reset a password via e-mail, the user information must contain a valid e-mail address. Turnitin cannot send password reset information to any other e-mail.
E-mail password reset:
- Go to www.turnitin.com
- Click on the "Log In" button to go to the login page
- Click on the "Reset Password" link below the login fields.
- Enter the e-mail address associated with a Turnitin user profile and your last name. Click on the "Next" button
- An email will be sent to you with a link to reset your password
- From the email that was sent to you, click on the password reset link or paste it into your browser
- On the password reset page, you must enter a new password and log into Turnitin using the e-mail and new password for your profile
- Enter a new password and confirm it. Click on the 'Next" button
- Click on the link to return to the homepage, then log in as usual.
Warning: If you do not receive the e-mail containing the password reset link, make certain that the e-mail service is not filtering this e-mail from email@example.com to spam or junk mail. Add firstname.lastname@example.org to the e-mail contact list or contact your e-mail service for more information on ensuring this important password reset e-mail is able to be received.