Creating Master Classes
Master classes are designed to allow instructors to create a class with sections. The sections of a master class are controlled by the master class. Assignments created in the master class can be pushed to the sections. Each section can be assigned a TA who will be able to view submissions to the section and create assignments specific to the section. Master classes can be created using the add a class tool on the instructor homepage.
How to create a master class
- Click on add a class to the right of your institution's name
- Select "master class" from the "class type" pull down menu
- Enter a name for the master class
- Set the end date for the master class using the date pull down menus
- Enter a TA join password for the master class
- Click submit to finalize the creation of the master class
Regular classes can be converted to master classes using the update tool for the class.
How to convert a class to a master class
- Click on the edit icon to the right of the account name.
- Click the "convert to master class" button at the bottom of the update window
- Sections can be created either through the section button to the left of the master class name or through TAs joining the master class. For information on master class section creation, please view our article on adding sections to a master class.
- For information on assigning TAs to sections, please view our article on assigning master class section TAs.
- When converting a regular class to a master class, the original class will become the first section of the master class. All of the students and submission to the class can be viewed through the section. Deleting the section will remove all of the students and submissions from the master class.
- The only way to allow multiple users to access the submissions to a class is to set up a master class and section.
- Section TAs will only have access to those papers submitted to their sections.
- Students must enroll in or be enrolled in the sections of a master class. Students cannot enroll in master classes directly.