Basic Paragraph (Learning Support Rubric SLO1)
This rubric is used to to assess Learning Support Students' abilities to write a basic paragraph.
This rubric utilizes the following criteria:
- Topic Sentence: A topic sentence that is clear, correctly placed, and has a topic and direction.
- Major Details: The paragraphs include clear transitions introducing three clearly stated major details. All major details support the topic sentence.
- Development of Ideas: Each major detail has two sentences of minor details/explanation which are specific and relate to the major detail.
- Concluding Sentence: A concluding sentence either creatively restates the idea in the topic sentence or creatively summarizes the ideas presented in the Paragraph.
- Mechanics, Punctuation, and Grammar: Paragraphs have fewer than three errors in punctuation, capitalization, spelling or grammar errors.
This rubric is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Learning Support English Instructor
Southwest Georgia Technical College
Thomasville, Georgia, U.S.
Gwen Pittman is a Learning Support English instructor at a technical college in Southwest Georgia. She uses this rubric as a basic paragraph assessment for her students.