CCSS-aligned Writing Rubric, Argument (Grades 9-10)
This is a Common Core State Standards-aligned writing rubric for use in the evaluation of argument-type papers. This rubric is for grades 9-10.
This rubric utilizes the following criteria:
- Claim: The text introduces a clear, arguable claim that can be supported by reasons and evidence.
- Development: The text provides sufficient data and evidence to back up the claim as well as a conclusion that supports the argument.
- Audience: The text anticipates the audience’s knowledge level and concerns about the claim. The text addresses the specific audience’s needs.
- Cohesion:The text uses words, phrases, and clauses to link the major sections of the text, creates cohesion, and clarifies the relationships between the claim and reasons, between reasons and evidence, and between claims and counterclaims.
- Style and Convention:The text presents a formal, objective tone that demonstrates standard English conventions of usage and mechanics along with discipline- specific requirements (i.e. MLA, APA, etc.).
Download Turnitin Rubric (.rbc)
Right-click and "Save Link As…"
This rubric is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Submitted by: Turnitin
This CCSS-aligned writing rubric was developed and written by the English Professional Learning Council.