CCSS-aligned Writing Rubric, Narrative (Grades 9-10)
This is a Common Core State Standards-aligned writing rubric for use in the evaluation of narrative-type papers. This rubric is for grades 9-10.
This rubric utilizes the following criteria:
- Exposition: The text sets up a story by introducing the event/conflict, characters, and setting.
- Narrative Techniques and Development: The story is developed using dialogue, pacing, description, reflection, and multiple plot lines.
- Organization and Cohesion: The text follows a logical sequence of events.
- Style and Conventions: The text uses sensory language and details to create a vivid picture of the events, setting, and characters.
- Conclusion: The text provides a conclusion that follows from the course of the narrative. The conclusion provides a reflection on or resolution of the events.
This rubric is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Submitted by: Turnitin
This CCSS-aligned writing rubric was developed and written by the English Professional Learning Council.