Turnitin is the global leader in evaluating and improving student writing. The company’s cloud-based service for originality checking, online grading and peer review saves instructors time and provides rich feedback to students.
One of the most widely distributed educational applications in the world, Turnitin is used by more than 10,000 institutions in 126 countries to manage the submission, tracking and evaluation of student papers online. Turnitin also offers iThenticate, a plagiarism detection service for commercial markets, and WriteCheck, a suite of formative tools for writers. Turnitin is backed by Warburg Pincus and is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with an international office in Newcastle, U.K.
The early years
- Four UC Berkeley graduate students develop peer review application
- Founders build Turnitin prototype to detect unoriginal content in student writing
- iParadigms, the parent company of Turnitin, is incorporated.
- iParadigms, parent company of Turnitin, is incorporated
- Partners with CrossRef and develops iThenticate for scholarly publishers
- Develops WriteCheck to provide student formative writing tools
2009 - present
- Warburg Pincus acquires majority stake in Turnitin
- Announces Turnitin for Admissions to detect plagiarism in college applications
- Turnitin2 tightens integration of originality checking, online grading and peer review with layering of paper in its original format
- Acquires nLearning and establishes International headquarters in Newcastle, UK
- Partners with Educational Testing Service (ETS®) to integrate e-rater® technology
- Releases translated matching to detect plagiarized content translated from English.
- Announces ability for instructors to add Voice Comments
- Turnitin for iPad® becomes available on the App Store℠
- Cloud Submit lets students upload papers from Google Drive™ or DropBox
- Turnitin grows to over 160 employees in 2013.
- Turnitin processed over 80 million papers in 2012.
- 190,000 papers are submitted per day with 500,000 papers submitted on peak days.
- Turnitin records service uptime of 99.9% and average turnaround time of 23.9 seconds per paper.
- GradeMark is rapidly re-inventing how papers are graded, and is doubling in usage each year. Turnitin celebrated its 20 millionth GradeMark review in October 2012.
- Turnitin supports 18 languages: English, Arabic, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Russian.
- Turnitin integrates with more than 50 Course Management Systems, including Blackboard, Moodle, Instructure Canvas, Desire2Learn, Pearson Learning Studio, and Sakai.
- Turnitin uses three databases for content matching:
- 40+ billion web pages crawled
- 300+ million archived student papers
- 130+ million articles from 110,000+ journals periodicals & books
- Turnitin serves over
- 1 million active instructors
- 20 million licensed students
- 10,000 educational institutions
- Turnitin customers include 56% of the top 100 high schools listed on U.S. News and World Report's America's Best High Schools in 2010.
- Of the top 100 colleges and universities in the 2010 U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges list, 69% are Turnitin customers.
- 130 of the top 200 universities in the world use Turnitin, as indicated in the Times Higher Education World Rankings (2012).
- 51% of Turnitin instructors teach subjects other than English, writing, composition, or communications.
- Turnitin customers are located in 126 countries.
Turnitin has partnered with learning management providers, content providers, and regional experts
to deliver a complete solution.
Turnitin integrates with Learning Management System providers to ensure a fast and seamless experience for administrators, instructors and students.
Turnitin works with leading education experts to offer support for our products around the world. Contact Us
In addition to indexing the Web and more than 300 million students papers, Turnitin provides over 130 million content items from leading textbook, academic and content publishers.
Interested in partnering with us? Are you the copyright holder of content? Email us