Turnitin Announces 2015 Winners of its National All-Stars Award Program
Six educators recognized for excellence in supporting student success, and one student for promoting academic integrity, in 2nd annual award program
Oakland, Calif. ()
Turnitin®, the leader in originality checking and online grading, today named six educators as the 2015 Turnitin All-Stars, an award program that recognizes U.S. educators who demonstrate excellence in achieving student success, and in using Turnitin to support student learning. One student is also being recognized for excellence in promoting originality and academic integrity.
“It has been a privilege for us to review the 300 educator nominations and see the impact Turnitin is having on student learning,” said Jason Chu, education director at Turnitin. “We marvel at all the educators who go above and beyond for students, and use Turnitin to help their students achieve, and we want to give them recognition for it. These educators are just a few of many shining examples from more than a million instructors and 10,000 schools that use Turnitin.”
“I am very honored to win the M.V.P. Award,” says Cindy Freed, Teacher at Pinellas Park High School. “Turnitin is a helpful tool for students and teachers; it is not just a tool to use in English classes but a tool to use in all content areas. As my grass-roots journey to promote Turnitin continues, I take pride in knowing that I am doing the best I can to promote 100 percent student success.”
Turnitin All-Stars winners for secondary education are:
- “M.V.P.”: Cindy Freed of Pinellas Park High School, FL crafts implementation guides and professional development sessions for hundreds of teachers.
- “Academic Integrity”: Jessica Riegert of Los Alamitos High School, CA gauges original thought by having students submit reading guides and classroom notes into Turnitin so they can personalize and contextualize their learning.
- “Grading & Feedback”: Eric Mills, Denver School of the Arts, CO uses Turnitin’s Online Grading to extend classroom instruction, differentiate feedback, and provide personalized and individualized comments for students.
Turnitin All-Stars winners for higher education are:
"M.V.P.": Julie Trager & Lisa Boutin of Cerritos College, CA launched
a campus-wide initiative to emphasize the importance of integrity, writing and technology.
- "Academic Integrity": Susan Wildburger of University of Texas, Dallas, TX implemented a 4-week crash course on the ins-and-outs of plagiarism, including how to perfect research citation practices.
- "Grading & Feedback": Tony Russell of Central Oregon Community College, OR uses voice comments to provide more personaolized feedback for his commuter students.
All-Star student winner:
- "Original Writer": Matt Schlosser of Strawberry Crest High School, FL is a Senior Member of the Student Honor Council, and serves as a model of integrity.
"Behind each of these stories are passionate educators who care so much for their students and are committed to equipping them to be life-long learners for the 21st century," said Audrey Wick, 2014 All-Stars winner, 2015 All-Stars Judge and professor of English at Blinn College.
Turnitin All-Stars receive a one-time monetary award, plus opportunities to share their expertise with the Turnitin community through blogging and social media, webcasts, events and programs. Nearly 50 educators have been recognized for their excellence since 2014.
To learn more about the Turnitin All-Stars and hear their stories, please visit: http://turnitin.com/en_us/customers/all-stars
Turnitin is your partner in education with integrity. Turnitin’s originality checking and authorship investigation services ensure academic integrity, promote critical thinking, and help students improve their authentic writing. Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to prevent plagiarism, engage students in the writing process, and provide personalized feedback. Turnitin is used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Backed by Insight Venture Partners, GIC, Norwest Venture Partners, Lead Edge Capital and Georgian Partners, Turnitin is headquartered in Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K., Utrecht, Netherlands, Melbourne, Australia, Seoul, Korea and throughout Latin America. @Turnitin